National Security · Constitutional Law · Foreign Policy · Legislative Process·April 4, 2026
Tehran rejected a 15 point proposal as an April 6 deadline intensified fears of wider conflict
Pakistani mediators confirmed on April 3, 2026 — Day 35 of Operation Epic Fury — that Iran had formally rejected the U.S. 15-point ceasefire framework as "unacceptable," ending the last structured diplomatic channel before President Trump's April 6, 8 p.m. Eastern deadline to open the 📖Strait of Hormuz or face strikes on Iran's civilian power grid. The same day, Iranian forces shot down a U.S. Air Force F-15E Strike Eagle, and a weapons systems officer went missing, believed to be alive in Iranian custody. On April 4, Trump posted on Truth Social that "time is running out." The Senate had already voted 53-47 to kill a 📖War Powers Resolution requiring withdrawal, and Congress was on recess until April 13, leaving no legislative check on the executive's military decision-making before the April 6 deadline.
Key facts
"Operation Epic Fury began on , when the United States and Israel launched coordinated surprise airstrikes against nuclear and military sites across Iran. Iran responded the same day by closing the 📖Strait of Hormuz — a 21-mile-wide waterway through which roughly flows — using mines, missile threats, and naval patrols. The Hormuz closure immediately sent oil futures above $100 per barrel and set up the central demand of the entire conflict: the U.S. insists Iran reopen the strait; Iran insists the U.S. end the war first.\n\nTrump set an initial 48-hour deadline on Day 1 for Iran to reopen Hormuz or face escalated strikes on energy infrastructure. He extended that deadline three times — on March 19, March 23, and March 26 — each time citing diplomatic progress that Iran denied was happening. The is the fourth and final extension Trump has granted, and he said publicly there would be no fifth."
"U.S. Special Envoy
Steve Witkoff transmitted a to Iran through Pakistan in late March 2026. Iran International confirmed
Witkoff presented the plan; Time magazine reported the framework's key conditions included:\n\n- Decommissioning three major Iranian nuclear facilities: Natanz, Isfahan, and Fordow\n- Ending Iran's financing and arming of regional proxy networks, including Hezbollah, Hamas, and the Houthis\n- Guaranteeing the 📖Strait of Hormuz open to international commercial shipping\n- Limiting Iran's ballistic missile program to self-defense range and payload\n- Agreeing to international monitoring of a multi-year nuclear drawdown\n\nWitkoff said the plan offered sanctions relief tied to verified compliance with each condition. Trump described it as offering Iran "a path to survival." Iran's government did not acknowledge receiving the proposal for days after
Witkoff confirmed transmitting it."
"Iranian officials rejected all 15 points publicly and issued their own five counter-conditions through intermediaries. included:\n\n- Full U.S. and Israeli withdrawal from all strikes\n- War reparations from the United States for damage caused by Operation Epic Fury\n- Legal recognition of Iran's sovereignty over the 📖Strait of Hormuz\n- Lifting all U.S. sanctions without preconditions\n- A guaranteed permanent ceasefire before any nuclear discussion begins\n\nNone of Iran's five conditions appeared in the U.S. 15-point framework, and none of the U.S. conditions appeared in Iran's counter-offer. Iran's Foreign Minister said on March 25: "At present there is no negotiation." Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei separately stated Iran would not negotiate "under the shadow of bombs.""
"Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif agreed to host U.S.-Iran indirect talks in Islamabad, with Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar serving as the primary go-between. that his government was relaying messages between the two sides and that Turkey and Egypt were "extending their support" to the initiative. Saudi Arabia separately offered to host direct talks in Riyadh, which Iran declined.\n\nThe Islamabad track was the only active structured diplomatic channel between Washington and Tehran after Trump rejected a United Nations Security Council mediation offer in early March, arguing the U.N. had "no credibility" with Iran. When Pakistani mediators confirmed on April 3 that Iran had labeled the 15-point plan "unacceptable" and refused to meet with U.S. officials in Islamabad, the last formal negotiating structure before the April 6 deadline collapsed."
"On April 3, 2026 — Day 35 of Operation Epic Fury — during a strike mission over Iran. The F-15E carries a two-person crew: a pilot and a weapons systems officer (WSO). U.S. forces rescued the pilot during a search-and-rescue operation. The WSO is missing and NBC News, citing U.S. officials, reported the crew member is believed to be alive inside Iran. Iran offered a public bounty for the missing crew member's location.\n\nDuring the search-and-rescue operation, a second U.S. aircraft — an A-10 Thunderbolt II — was struck by Iranian fire and its pilot safely ejected over Kuwait before the aircraft was lost. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had stated on March 31 that U.S. forces had achieved "dominance of Iranian skies." The F-15E and A-10 losses on April 3 were the and directly contradicted that claim."
"If Iran is holding the missing WSO as a 📖prisoner of war, specific legal obligations attach under the , to which both the United States and Iran are signatories. Iran would be required to:\n\n- Notify the U.S. government and the International Committee of the Red Cross of the capture\n- Treat the crew member humanely and house them in safe conditions\n- Allow Red Cross access within a reasonable time\n- Refrain from using the POW as a bargaining chip in ceasefire negotiations\n\nNo such notification had been issued by Iran as of April 5. A captured U.S. service member would create significant pressure on Congress to authorize the war formally or pursue diplomatic resolution — and would complicate any executive decision to expand strikes on energy infrastructure while a U.S. citizen is in Iranian custody."
"The 📖War Powers Resolution of 1973 requires the president to notify Congress within 48 hours of introducing U.S. forces into hostilities and sets a 60-day clock after which the president must either receive congressional authorization or begin withdrawing forces. Trump notified Congress on March 1, 2026, starting the clock. The 60-day deadline falls approximately April 28, 2026.\n\nSen.
Tim Kaine (D-VA) introduced a 📖War Powers Resolution requiring withdrawal from the Iran conflict. The to kill
Kaine's resolution — all 50 Republicans plus three Democrats voted against it. The House voted down a parallel resolution 219-212. Congress then went on recess until April 13, leaving no legislative mechanism to authorize or halt the war before the April 6 deadline or the April 28 clock expiration."
"Trump posted to Truth Social on April 4 that "time is running out" for Iran and threatened that strikes on energy infrastructure would begin if Hormuz was not opened by 8 p.m. Eastern on April 6. He said separately he was "pretty sure" a deal would happen — a statement that contradicted Iranian officials, who denied any active negotiations. on April 3, its largest single-day drop since January, as Brent crude oil futures rose more than 5.6% to $108.01 per barrel on news of the F-15E shootdown and the peace talks collapse.\n\nIf Trump orders strikes on Iran's power grid after April 6, international law scholars, including war crimes expert who served as the U.S. Ambassador-at-Large for War Crimes Issues, have said the attacks could constitute violations of Additional Protocol I to the 📖Geneva Conventions, which prohibits deliberate attacks on civilian infrastructure essential to civilian survival. The United States has not ratified Additional Protocol I but the prohibition is widely recognized as customary international law."
"The structural obstacle to any ceasefire is the 📖Strait of Hormuz itself. The U.S. demands Iran reopen the strait to commercial traffic as a precondition for ceasefire talks. Iran demands legal recognition of its sovereignty over the waterway — and argues that reopening Hormuz without a ceasefire guarantee would remove its only leverage in the conflict. The strait cannot be physically unblocked without Iranian cooperation, and Iran cannot verify a U.S. ceasefire commitment without an agreement that the U.S. has refused to offer before Hormuz opens.\n\nThis mutual precondition structure — — means neither side can make the first concession without appearing to capitulate. The collapse of the Islamabad track removed the only third-party structure that could have broken the standoff by sequencing small mutual concessions before a full agreement."
Vice President JD Vance, Trump envoy Steve Witkoff, and Jared Kushner led a U.S. delegation through a 21-hour direct negotiating session with a 71-member Iranian team in Islamabad on April 11–12, 2026. Talks collapsed without an agreement after Iran refused to commit to never developing a nuclear weapon. Vance left Pakistan saying "we have not reached an agreement." Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad-Bagher Ghalibaf said his delegation raised "forward-looking" proposals but the U.S. failed to earn Iran's trust. President Trump responded Sunday by posting an article on Truth Social suggesting a "full naval blockade" of Iran as a way to "out-blockade" Iran's control over the Strait of Hormuz. The two-week ceasefire agreed on April 7 has roughly nine days remaining. The War Powers Resolution 60-day clock expires approximately April 28, days after Congress returns from recess. Congress has not authorized the Iran war; both chambers voted down war powers resolutions earlier this year.
On May 17, 2026, President Donald Trump posted on Truth Social that "For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them." The warning came as a six-week ceasefire — in place since April 8 — appeared to be collapsing. Iran's latest proposal refused to include any concessions on its nuclear program, which Trump called "TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE." The same day, a drone struck a generator on the perimeter of the UAE's Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, the first attack on nuclear infrastructure in the Gulf since the war began February 28. CENTCOM Commander Admiral Brad Cooper had briefed Trump on a plan for a "short and powerful" wave of strikes on Iranian infrastructure, and Trump was expected to convene a Situation Room meeting with senior military leaders on Tuesday. U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, appearing on ABC News that morning, said President Trump had secured a commitment from China during the Beijing summit to not "provide material support to Iran." The standoff exposed a fundamental divide: Trump demanded Iran renounce uranium enrichment entirely before any ceasefire terms are finalized; Iran, citing its rights under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, refused to make nuclear concessions in the opening phase of talks. Pakistan had been serving as the primary mediator, transmitting proposals between Washington and Tehran. The War Powers Resolution's 60-day clock — started when Trump notified Congress of hostilities on March 2 — became a parallel political flashpoint. Trump declared on May 1 that hostilities had "terminated," arguing the ceasefire paused the clock. Congress rejected that reading in a series of votes: the Senate came closest yet on May 13, falling 50-49, and the House tied 212-212 on May 14. Senate Majority Leader John Thune blocked a Republican authorization vote sought by Sen. Lisa Murkowski.
On Easter Sunday, April 5, 2026 (Day 37 of Operation Epic Fury), President Trump posted a profane message to Truth Social threatening to bomb Iran's power plants and bridges by Tuesday at 8 p.m. Eastern if Iran did not reopen the Strait of Hormuz. "Open the Fuckin' Strait, you crazy bastards, or you'll be living in Hell," Trump wrote. The post came hours after U.S. forces rescued the missing weapons systems officer from the downed F-15E Strike Eagle, ending a 24-hour CIA-led operation. Trump also told Axios that Iran had until Tuesday to make a deal, saying, "if they don't make a deal, I am blowing up everything over there." The April 6 deadline, originally set when the war began on February 28, was moved to Tuesday, April 7, at 8 p.m. Eastern, extending the standoff for a third time. The escalation came as Egypt, Pakistan, and Turkey submitted a joint proposal to Iran and U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff for a 45-day ceasefire and a partial Hormuz reopening. Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Iran had formulated a response to the intermediaries but would not negotiate directly with the United States while U.S. and Israeli strikes continued. Oil prices swung sharply, with U.S. crude briefly touching $114 per barrel before retreating after Trump's Axios interview signaled a deal was still possible.
A two-week ceasefire between the United States and Iran expires on April 22, 2026, with no agreement in place after the first round of peace talks in Islamabad, Pakistan ended without a deal on April 11. Vice President JD Vance led a US delegation that included special envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner; Iran sent Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf. After more than 21 hours of talks, Vance said Iran chose "not to accept our terms." The central sticking points are Iran's nuclear enrichment program and the closure of the Strait of Hormuz — a chokepoint for about 20 percent of global oil trade. The war began on February 28, 2026, when the United States and Israel launched coordinated strikes on Iran's nuclear facilities and military infrastructure without a formal congressional authorization for the use of military force. Pakistan's army chief, General Asim Munir, is now mediating in Tehran to set up a second round of talks before the ceasefire lapses.
On March 22, 2026, day 23 of the U.S.-Israel war on Iran, President Trump posted on Truth Social giving Iran 48 hours to reopen the Strait of Hormuz or face U.S. strikes on Iranian power plants. The Strait of Hormuz carries about one-fifth of the world's daily oil supply and has been effectively shut since the war began on February 28. Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps responded by threatening to permanently close the strait and deploy naval mines in the Persian Gulf if its coasts were attacked. Legal analysts told NBC News that broad strikes on Iranian civilian power infrastructure would likely violate laws of war, which bar attacks on civilian targets when civilian harm outweighs military advantage. Congress has not authorized the Iran war, and the House rejected a war powers resolution 219 to 212 on March 5, 2026. The deadline ran until 7:44 p.m. Eastern Time on March 23.
President Trump announced on May 3, 2026 that US military forces would begin escorting stranded commercial ships out of the Strait of Hormuz starting Monday, May 4, in an operation he named "Project Freedom." The Strait has been effectively closed to international shipping since Iran blockaded it following US and Israeli airstrikes on Tehran in February 2026. An estimated 20,000 seafarers are trapped aboard roughly 2,000 vessels in the Persian Gulf. US Central Command said the operation would involve 15,000 service members, guided-missile destroyers, more than 100 land and sea-based aircraft, and multi-domain unmanned platforms. Iran immediately declared Project Freedom a violation of the ceasefire that took effect April 8, 2026, and its top military commander threatened that any US forces entering the Strait would be "subjected to attack." The operation begins as Iran and the United States are still exchanging proposals through Pakistan as a diplomatic intermediary — Iran submitted a 14-point plan on May 2 calling for an end to hostilities within 30 days, a withdrawal of US forces from Iran's region, and a new governance mechanism for the Strait, with no provisions on Iran's nuclear program.
Categories that may be relevant to you
25 questions
Start the review