May 23, 2026 · executive_action
Trump says Iran peace MOU is largely negotiated
On May 23, 2026, President Donald Trump said a peace memorandum of understanding with Iran was largely negotiated and said it would reopen the Strait of Hormuz after weeks of war and oil-market disruption ([AP](https://apnews.com/article/1c283f26d037102cc5e6f798546d0e59), [Axios](https://www.axios.com/2026/05/23/us-iran-trump-deal-war)). Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said a framework existed but disputed two core parts of Trump's message, saying nuclear terms were not being negotiated at this stage and that Hormuz governance had to be handled by Iran and neighboring states ([AP](https://apnews.com/article/1c283f26d037102cc5e6f798546d0e59), [Axios details](https://www.axios.com/2026/05/24/iran-deal-strait-hormuz-sanctions-nuclear)). The White House had already framed Hormuz reopening as part of its broader war endgame, and because the administration is treating the deal as an executive agreement, sanctions relief it can grant through existing executive authorities would not need Senate ratification ([White House, Apr. 8](https://www.whitehouse.gov/releases/2026/04/peace-through-strength-operation-epic-fury-crushes-iranian-threat-as-ceasefire-takes-hold/), [White House, May 17](https://www.whitehouse.gov/fact-sheets/2026/05/fact-sheet-president-donald-j-trump-secures-historic-deals-with-china-delivering-for-american-workers-farmers-and-industry/), [U.S. Senate](https://www.senate.gov/legislative/HowTo/Treaties.htm), [OFAC](https://ofac.treasury.gov/sanctions-programs-and-country-information/iran-sanctions)).
Apr 12, 2026 · diplomatic
Islamabad talks collapse after 21 hours, Trump orders naval blockade of Iran
FeaturedPakistan brokers a two-week ceasefire on April 8. Vice President JD Vance leads a U.S. delegation of approximately 300 to Islamabad for the highest-level face-to-face U.S.-Iran engagement since 1979. Iran's delegation is led by Parliament Speaker Ghalibaf and Foreign Minister Araghchi. After 21 hours of direct negotiations, the talks collapse over the nuclear issue. The U.S. offers a grand bargain including sanctions relief. Iran demands sovereignty over the Strait, reparations, and unfreezing of assets. The delegations could not agree on sequencing. Iran sought sanctions relief before military de-escalation while the U.S. demanded nuclear commitments first. On April 12, following the collapse, Trump orders a naval blockade of Iran. Trump tweets "The meeting went well, most points were agreed to, but the only point that really mattered, NUCLEAR, was not." He warns "Any Iranian who fires at us, or at peaceful vessels, will be BLOWN TO HELL!"
Apr 11, 2026 · diplomatic
Vice President Vance leads U.S. delegation to Islamabad for 21-hour direct nuclear talks with Iran
Vice President JD Vance, envoy Steve Witkoff, and Jared Kushner arrive in Islamabad, Pakistan, where Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi leads a reciprocal delegation for direct nuclear negotiations brokered by Pakistan. The 21-hour talks represent the most substantive U.S.-Iran diplomatic contact since Trump withdrew from the JCPOA in 2018.
Apr 8, 2026 · diplomatic
Pakistan invites US and Iran to formal ceasefire negotiations in Islamabad for April 10
Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif invited US and Iranian delegations to Islamabad on April 10, 2026, for formal negotiations toward a permanent agreement, tentatively called the "Islamabad Accord." Iran confirmed participation. The US delegation would be led by VP JD Vance, with Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner also attending. Trump told AFP that Turkey, Egypt, and China had also helped facilitate the negotiations. The Islamabad talks were scheduled to occur within the two-week ceasefire window, with the nuclear enrichment dispute and Lebanon status among the unresolved core issues.
Feb 19, 2026 · policy_change
Trump convenes Board of Peace inaugural meeting and pledges $10B
President Trump hosted the inaugural meeting of his newly created Board of Peace at the U.S. Institute of Peace headquarters in Washington, D.C. on February 19, 2026, with representatives from more than 40 countries in attendance. Trump announced a $10 billion U.S. commitment to Gaza reconstruction, while partner nations pledged an additional $7 billion, bringing total announced pledges to $17 billion. Key U.S. allies including France, Germany, the UK, and Ukraine declined to participate, citing concerns that the structure was designed to sideline the United Nations.