54d5a56a 96ba 4f21 Baad Cb32c8834e66 · 30 questions
Iran rejects Trump's nuclear demands; ceasefire collapses toward new strikes·May 17, 2026
On May 17, 2026, President Donald Trump posted on Truth Social that "For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them." The warning came as a six-week ceasefire — in place since April 8 — appeared to be collapsing. Iran's latest proposal refused to include any concessions on its nuclear program, which Trump called "TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE." The same day, a drone struck a generator on the perimeter of the UAE's Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, the first attack on nuclear infrastructure in the Gulf since the war began February 28.
CENTCOM Commander Admiral Brad Cooper had briefed Trump on a plan for a "short and powerful" wave of strikes on Iranian infrastructure, and Trump was expected to convene a Situation Room meeting with senior military leaders on Tuesday. U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, appearing on ABC News that morning, said President Trump had secured a commitment from China during the Beijing summit to not "provide material support to Iran."
The standoff exposed a fundamental divide: Trump demanded Iran renounce uranium enrichment entirely before any ceasefire terms are finalized; Iran, citing its rights under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, refused to make nuclear concessions in the opening phase of talks. Pakistan had been serving as the primary mediator, transmitting proposals between Washington and Tehran.
The War Powers Resolution's 60-day clock — started when Trump notified Congress of hostilities on March 2 — became a parallel political flashpoint. Trump declared on May 1 that hostilities had "terminated," arguing the ceasefire paused the clock. Congress rejected that reading in a series of votes: the Senate came closest yet on May 13, falling 50-49, and the House tied 212-212 on May 14. Senate Majority Leader John Thune blocked a Republican authorization vote sought by Sen. Lisa Murkowski.
Key facts
Operation Epic Fury — the U.S.-Israeli campaign against Iran — began on February 28, 2026, when U.S. and Israeli forces launched nearly 900 strikes in the first 12 hours. After 38 days of sustained combat, the U.S., Iran, and Israel agreed to a ceasefire brokered by Pakistan, taking effect April 8. CENTCOM Commander Admiral Brad Cooper later testified that the campaign rolled back what he called 40 years of Iranian military investment.
But the ceasefire was never a peace deal. It paused hostilities while Iran and the U.S. negotiated — through Pakistani mediators — over the terms of a permanent settlement. The central sticking point from the start: Washington demanded Iran commit to zero uranium enrichment. Tehran refused, citing its rights as a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, which guarantees the inalienable right to develop nuclear energy for peaceful purposes.
Iran submitted its formal response to a U.S. ceasefire proposal through Pakistan on May 10, 2026. Trump read it and called it "a piece of garbage." Iran's 14-point response demanded, in the first phase: an end to hostilities on all fronts, lifting of U.S. sanctions on Iranian oil sales, an end to the U.S. naval blockade, and the unfreezing of Iranian assets. Nuclear talks were explicitly deferred to a later stage.
Trump said on May 10: "The plan is they cannot have a nuclear weapon. And they didn't say that in their letter." He declared the ceasefire "on life support." Iran's chief negotiator countered by issuing a 48-hour ultimatum to the United States: accept Tehran's 14-point proposal or face "failure."
On May 17, 2026, Trump posted on Truth Social: "For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!" The post came the morning after Trump returned from the Beijing summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping. Trump told Axios he was still waiting for an updated Iranian proposal and had not set a formal deadline, but he told Israel's Channel 13 that "the Iranians should be afraid of what's going on right now."
The same morning, U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer appeared on ABC News' "This Week" and said Trump "was very focused on making sure that they didn't provide material support to Iran. That's a commitment he obtained and confirmed" from China at the Beijing summit. China also told the U.S. it wants the Strait of Hormuz open free of curbs, giving Beijing a direct economic incentive to press Iran toward a deal.
Hours after Trump's Truth Social post, a drone struck an electrical generator on the perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in Abu Dhabi. It was the first nuclear infrastructure attack in the Gulf since the war began. The UAE Defence Ministry said air defenses intercepted two drones while a third hit the generator outside the plant's inner perimeter. No radiation leak was detected; radiation levels remained normal. No group claimed responsibility, though the UAE and other Gulf states had been under repeated Iranian-linked drone attacks since February 28.
The International Atomic Energy Agency expressed "grave concern" over the strike. The Barakah plant, the Arabian Peninsula's first nuclear power station, was not damaged operationally. But the attack added urgency to Trump's Situation Room meeting scheduled for Tuesday, where Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Admiral Cooper were expected to present escalation options.
CENTCOM had already prepared contingency plans for a military escalation. According to Axios reporting from April 30, Admiral Cooper briefed Trump on a "short and powerful" wave of strikes targeting Iranian infrastructure, designed to break the negotiating deadlock rather than restart full-scale combat. A separate option involved U.S. forces taking more aggressive control of the Strait of Hormuz.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth told lawmakers on May 12 that the Pentagon had contingency plans ready for either escalation or drawdown. He also said the war had cost $29 billion to date. Hegseth testified that the ceasefire was still in effect even as Iranian-linked forces resumed strikes on Gulf states earlier in May.
The War Powers Resolution (50 U.S.C. §§ 1541-1548) requires the president to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing forces to hostilities and to withdraw those forces within 60 days unless Congress authorizes the conflict. Trump notified Congress on March 2, 2026, setting a May 1 deadline.
On May 1, Trump sent Congress a letter asserting that the hostilities had "terminated," arguing the ceasefire reset or paused the clock. Defense Secretary Hegseth told senators: "We are in a ceasefire right now, which our understanding means the 60-day clock pauses or stops." The Congressional Research Service notes no statute permits a ceasefire to pause the 60-day withdrawal requirement.
Congress held seven votes on war powers resolutions between March and May 2026. The Senate came closest to passing one on May 13, when Sens. Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins, and Rand Paul broke with Republican leadership to vote with Democrats, producing a 50-49 result, one vote short of the majority needed to advance the measure.
The House tied 212-212 on May 14, with three Republicans, Reps. Thomas Massie, Tom Barrett, and Brian Fitzpatrick, voting for the resolution, and one Democrat, Rep. Jared Golden, voting against. Because passage required a simple majority, the tie was a defeat. Senate Majority Leader John Thune blocked Sen. Murkowski's separate push to schedule a vote on formally authorizing the war.
Trump's Iran demands sit at the intersection of two international frameworks that point in opposite directions. The U.S. demand for zero uranium enrichment goes beyond what the 2015 JCPOA required. That deal permitted Iran to enrich uranium up to 3.67 percent under strict IAEA inspection. Trump withdrew from the JCPOA in 2018. The current U.S. position demands permanent renunciation of enrichment rights.
Iran points to Article IV of the NPT, which grants signatories the inalienable right to pursue peaceful nuclear energy. Mohammad Eslami, director of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization, stated publicly that nuclear technology and enrichment will not be part of any negotiations. The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace noted in May 2026 analysis that Iran's nuclear program continued advancing during the war, making the enrichment question more acute, not less.
The ceasefire's fragility exposed how coercive diplomacy works when one side controls more military options. Trump's Truth Social ultimatum, posted to a public platform rather than through diplomatic channels, was a calculated choice: it signaled resolve to domestic audiences, put public pressure on Iranian negotiators, and gave Trump room to claim he warned them if talks collapsed and strikes resumed.
Iran's negotiating posture mirrored a similar logic. By deferring nuclear talks and demanding sanctions relief first, Tehran was trying to extract concessions before making its most painful compromise. Iran's chief negotiator framed this as a question of sequencing, not refusal. But Trump read the sequencing as stalling and signaled the Situation Room meeting on Tuesday as the next escalation step.
Trump's Situation Room meeting on Tuesday, May 19, was expected to include Hegseth, National Security Advisor Mike Waltz, CIA Director John Ratcliffe, and Admiral Cooper. Options on the table included the "short and powerful" strikes package, adjustments to U.S. naval presence in the Strait of Hormuz, and diplomatic channels through Oman and Qatar in addition to Pakistan.
What Trump chose next would determine whether the War Powers Resolution dispute returned to Congress as an urgent constitutional crisis or remained a background argument. If Trump ordered strikes without a new congressional notification, he would be restarting a war under an expired 60-day clock — a direct challenge to the statutory framework governing presidential war-making since 1973.
30 questions
Start the review