54d5a56a 96ba 4f21 Baad Cb32c8834e66 · 12 questions
Trump sets military ultimatum without War Powers notification to Congress·February 19, 2026
On February 19, 2026, President Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One that Iran had ''10, 15 days, pretty much maximum'' to reach a nuclear deal or face consequences he described as ''really bad things.'' The statement came hours after Trump told the Board of Peace meeting he would decide ''over the next 10 days'' whether to continue diplomacy or order a strike. On the same day, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth confirmed the U.S. military would ''be prepared to deliver whatever the president expects.'' Two aircraft carrier strike groups — the USS Abraham Lincoln already in the Arabian Sea and the USS Gerald R. Ford racing through the Mediterranean — will soon converge in the region, with total deployed personnel expected to reach 40,000. Senior U.S. officials told The Associated Press that full military forces needed for a potential campaign would be in place by mid-March. The Pentagon is preparing options including limited strikes to pressure Iran, as well as larger-scale campaigns targeting government, military, and nuclear sites. Iran warned it would respond decisively to any attack and held joint naval drills with Russia in the Strait of Hormuz on the same day Trump spoke.
Key facts
Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on February 19, 2026, that Iran had '10, 15 days, pretty much maximum' to reach a nuclear deal. Earlier that day at the Board of Peace meeting, he said 'you're going to be finding out over the next probably 10 days' whether diplomacy would continue. The conditional threat followed a second round of indirect U.S.-Iran nuclear talks in Geneva where Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said both sides had agreed on 'guiding principles.'
The USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier strike group was racing through the Mediterranean toward the Middle East on February 19. The USS Abraham Lincoln strike group had already arrived in the region in late January.
Once the Ford arrives, the U.S. will have approximately 12 warships in the region and two full carrier battle groups, with total personnel expected to reach 40,000. Senior U.S. officials told The Associated Press that 'full forces' needed for a potential campaign would be in place by mid-March.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth told reporters on February 19 that his department 'will be prepared to deliver whatever the president expects' if Iran refuses a deal, while also saying 'our hope is that we never have to use that.' The Pentagon was simultaneously preparing two categories of options: an initial limited strike intended to enhance U.S. negotiating leverage, and larger-scale strikes on government, military, and nuclear targets.
Iran held joint naval exercises with Russia in the Strait of Hormuz on February 19, the same day Trump issued the deadline. The Strait is the narrow opening to the Persian Gulf through which roughly one-fifth of the world's traded oil passes. Iran's UN Ambassador Amir-Saeid Iravani sent a letter to UN Secretary-General António Guterres warning that Iran would 'respond decisively and proportionately' to any attack under its right of self-defense.
The U.S. and Israel struck Iran's nuclear facilities during a 12-day conflict in June 2025 (Operation Midnight Hammer), but Iran barred international inspectors afterward and the exact damage remains unknown. Trump claimed the strikes 'obliterated' Iran's nuclear program, but the fact that negotiations are still ongoing about nuclear capabilities suggests significant capacity remains. Iran has said it stopped enriching uranium since the June strikes, a claim the U.S. cannot independently verify.
Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner have been conducting direct diplomatic talks with Iranian representatives. Trump told the Board of Peace meeting that his aides had had 'very good meetings' with Iran, while White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said separately that the two sides 'remained apart on some issues.' Iran has agreed to draw up a written proposal addressing U.S. concerns raised in Geneva, according to a senior U.S. official.
The War Powers Resolution of 1973 requires the president to notify Congress within 48 hours of introducing U.S. forces into hostilities, and limits unauthorized military engagement to 60 days without congressional approval. Jonathan Panikoff, director of the Scowcroft Middle East Security Initiative at the Atlantic Council and a former deputy national intelligence officer for the Near East, warned that the expanding force posture 'makes it less and less likely that you see the president walk away from strikes.'
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk on February 19 urged Polish citizens to evacuate Iran, warning they might have only hours. Germany and other European countries issued similar warnings. Iran's theocracy, according to intelligence and diplomatic analysts, is more vulnerable than ever following the June strikes and deadly crackdown on protests in January 2026, but remains capable of striking U.S. bases and igniting a regional war that neither side may be able to control.
12 questions
Start the review